Mobile Mapping Service
Benefits of mobile mapping:
- 3D, 360° image coverage
- Captures all visible assets
- Precision Positioning using GNSS and Inertial Measurement Unit.
- Reduced motorist impact and traffic control
- Safe, surveying is done in mobile vehicle
- Accessible data year-round
- Reduced field-time
- Digitally delivered with measurement capabilities
- Compatible with GIS data systems
- Snip-It Tool for photos
Risks of traditional surveying:
- Takes more manpower
- Inefficient use of time
- Dependent on weather
- Quick results is impossible
- 2D and cannot capture all features at once
- Incoherent visualization and localization
- Delayed decision making
CLIENT FEEDBACK AFTER INVENTORY....
- A number of devices exist in the field, but were not on the map. We have added close to 1,000 devices to the map since starting the inventory. This helps our dispatch department more accurately determine what is out. Outage reports are more accurate as well.
- We’ve also noticed we were missing a number of transformers. We had consumers feeding from the wrong transformer or too many consumers on a transformer. Our engineering analysis models are more accurate. Many changes are now tested in our Load analysis product and our work plans are created from the load analysis software.
- We have more detailed information in GIS, such as pole height and class, transformer size, etc. This integrates tighter with our engineering software. Our engineering software can now take the attributes from our GIS and translate them into construction units from the accounting department. This has reduced the amount of work required from engineers.
- GPS accuracy – our tablets show our facilities overlay on the aerial photo. Facilities show on the correct side of the road and helps linemen more accurately troubleshoot. We are able to take advantage of government provided map layers such as roads so in the future we will no longer have to maintain this data ourselves since our facilities are GPS accurate.
- We’ve added a number of missing poles (2,000-3,000) to the map. Again it helps will the engineering software and troubleshooting in the field.
- Comments provided from the inventory have located safety issues and facilities that need maintenance.
- We are comparing our joint use attachments to what we are billing versus what we should be billing and resolving any discrepancies.
- Lastly, the confidence with the users in our data.